Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Idolize

Look the lights are bright as the stars in the sky
and the talent here is somewhat divine
and the hype isn't light
in fact millions watch every night!
and I scratch my head and think
and the voices scream all around me
they sing and it's sounding
good but not quite Godly
We are all of God but human
and doin our best, blessed
However, when we we can't get lost
or consumed inside, begin to idolize
someone who is not God
Yeah I'm a fan but have balance in my plan
So realize the blessings God provides
and give praise for his grace
but watch out and don't fade
into a fanatic overreaction
realize you are made
good and you should continue to grow into
your into your potential... now that's a show!

I apologize for not blogging more often. However, great things are happening and I'd like to share and testify a bit. First, this past weekend I helped out on a music video for and upcoming rapper, Benny Cassette. It was a lot of fun and exciting to see the ideas and concepts behind a music vid. Then there was Chaminade Prom. I was chaperoning and dance patrol. I made sure people were dancing and if they weren't I'd give them some pointers. Incredible night and the Post Prom was insane! The school invested so much into this after prom party were they had everything from poker tables, to a money tank, but life size bowling, and of course pop a shot. (I won 30 games in a row!) On Sunday I worked at Apple. Met a woman named Hope. Gave me a boost knowing Hope exists... I knew it did. After Apple work I went to a Confirmation for a Middle School Student I was sponsoring. Beautiful to see God grace in action.

This morning I woke up to the news of a death rapper "Dolla" he was signed to AKON's Label. Didn't know him too well but listened to a track where he prophesied about his death. He said it... and it happened. Well,
I said something that happened as well. Last week I said, "I was going to be at the American Idol finale." Today in class I found out that my student, Sam, had 4 tickets to tonight idol finale show!... We left school a bit early with permission from parents and drove down to the Nokia theatre. It was Me, Sam Leon, Colby Hurst, and Amir Farry (all three are my students). We get our tickets and we are IN! Wow... just to see the sights of the massive Nokia Theatre and the amazing American Idol set up.

Once we arrived at our seats Sam disappeared. 5 mins later he's by the stage!! We take off weaving in and out of security and make it to the front. I started talking to a woman in charge to see if it was possible to stand in the pit area right in front of the stage. She said no... As I continued talking to some of the fans. She walks up to me and says I felt like being nice today and hands me a pass! I'm In!! Watched the entire show 3 feet from the stage. The judges were right behind me. I spoke to Randy Jackson and asked if he turned his swagg on this morning... he said yeah dawg! Meanwhile, Sam became a seat filler in the front seating area, and Colby and Amir had to go back to our original seats. The hype was crazy and both Kris and Adam did a swell Job. Carrie Underwood rocked as well.

However, I came to a realization while being there. The whole Idol concept really came to life. I noticed people were so consumed by these performers. The truly idolized them! It made me think about idols... we aren't supposed to have any... except God. I almost felt as though some of these fans around me in the pit lost themselves in their desire to scream and connect with the artist. It would be soooo amazing if we gave God praise just like they praise the Idol Finalists. As much as I love the spotlight and performing... I don't want to be an Idol. I want what I do to give God glory only!

No comments:

Post a Comment