Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Cherish

Deprived of all money
nothing new, freshly woven or produced 
screwed together tightly 
instead friends who act kindly 
built to withstand
strength confirmed in the ability to care
the right to love has always been there
designed to remain until death takes away 
overtaken not by worldly distractions 
because our human interactions are just too real
real and good
they complete us
communication through word or deed is enough
the presence is cherished 
appreciated to a degree that leads us to be...
human


Today once again was a long but good day. It was jam packed full of excitement at the Chaminade Middle School. 
At lunch time I worked with the RCIA group as we discussed the sacrament of Confirmation. I compared Confirmation getting your drivers license. When you are sealed with the Holy Spirit, you are now a certified disciple.  It confirms your commitment to live and follow Christ. However, you must find a way to serve. Just because you get your license doesn't mean a car comes with it. You must find a mode of transportation. 
Then I proceeded to work with the middle school rap group called 3KB. They are working on some raps for the middle school talent show... and have some made skills. I was not that good at rapping at age 12. Next, I worked with an 8th grade representative, Casey, on her reflection for Stations of the Cross. We focused on the 8th station. This station describes Jesus carrying the cross. He is in pain and the women of Jerusalem are crying all around Him. He redirects their sorrow and basically says, "cry for yourselves... I can take it".  It made me realize that Jesus was designed to die. He knew it was his fate and he accepted it. He instead wanted his death to leave a lasting impact that would encourage others to change in a positive way. He didn't want people to feel bad for him, but instead fix their ways to lessen his pain. I liked that. 
However, the theme today was inspired after school. I had dinner at the Marianist Community in West Hills. I invited two of my good teacher friends over, Mary and Alicia.  We sat, shared a meal, and heard a moving testimony from Bro. Skip.  He spoke about his experience in Africa, how it changes people... drastically. His stories were amazing and worth listening to. The relationships in Africa were of the strongest value. The communities he was a part of truly cherished one another. 
After all this, Mary and Alicia came over to my apartment to watch American Idol.  I realized that their mere presence at my apartment brought me comfort and happiness. I truly cherish their friendship. It's the relationships that keep us going. Relationships that bring value to our lives. This interaction allows our humanity to continue, we were made to love one another. Our being longs to be connected and accepted. So after realizing this I encourage all people to cherish their friendships and nourish them. Make them a priority in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment