Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Give up what?

Turn away from sin
follow the gospel 
and when you follow 
be ready for tomorrow
this means work to be alert
and try to absorb 
as much as you can from God's word
word! I agree 
but it's difficult and bent 
in and out of shape 
changed, translated 
made new in a way 
and we always try to turn away 
it's just not easy when 
we have temptation
lurking just around the corner
the darkness lingers and often tries to reel me in
not, can't do it...
it's like trying to con-vince 
me that Batman hates justice
and that's just it 
when you know the truth 
it's hard to be tricked 
But you see... God gave me patience
and he gave me patients
though I'm not a Doctor
I strive to help 
so may different people 
on many different levels
I'm always working...
add additonal service 
that's right bring it!
I want it. I can take it.
I'm much rather grow stronger 
by adding to my plate 
thank giving up soda
or not eating meat
embrace sacrifice
remain steadfast in prayer 
but don't give up unless 
your a part-time player. 

Lent, has arrived. This poem was inspired by the message mentioned as everyone received ashes. Turn away from sin and follow the Gospel.  Sometimes it's hard to always follow. But when you understand the truth of God it's hard to bring you out of it. I end this poem with some food for thought. Don't give up stuff for lent if it doesn't have meaning to you. God want's full time dedication and enhancement of discipleship. Don't get all ashy because you have to... play the role of a disciple full time and the desire to give up your own life... will come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment