Saturday, February 21, 2009

Understanding Weakness

Rejection
Nobody likes it 
I get 
thrown off 
to a degree 
in my mentality 

But wait all that I am is great
My creator doesn't make waste 

So I must handle what is said or done 
with a grain of sand 
understand my weakness is not what I'll become 
what I do defines me 
the potential inside is hot and rising
so I can't give up our doubt myself

Just realize who I am 
what I'm good at 
what I can work on 
to stay on the right path

Stand in front of  the mirror 
gazing with a true heart 
today could be a new start 
who you are 
and what to do 
will soon become clear

When I was a kid I used to get teased because of my bad jokes. My friends would always say "no Joe.. no Joe" and shake their finger at me when I cracked a joke. I accepted that joke telling wasn't my talent but I didn't let it affect my self esteem. However, any rejection can hurt. 
Today, I was helping to DJ/ MC a Birthday Party with my friend Rick. There were a bunch of 11 year olds girls ready to have a great time. Of course we made sure they had fun. Throughout the night I would teach them different dance moves. However, there were these two girls who kept making fun of my dancing abilities. They began to mock me to a degree. Even though they were 11 years old and dancing is one of my talents... I still was a little thrown off by that. Not upset, but disheartened. I questioned myself to a degree. A similar situation occurred a couple nights ago at a Freshman Retreat. I was freestyling for the kids during their break and one student kept making fun of my raps and looked at me with a demeaning glare. It affected me in the moment. 
People can say and do hurtful things. It happens every day. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Affirmations truly help to affirm the gifts we do have. In order to constantly improve we must be true to ourselves. Look in the mirror and evaluate who we are becoming and what we want to strengthen. Maybe we are content just the way you are. That's great. Being true to yourself allows confidence and honesty to seep into your being. I am aware I have talent even though I my not be the best rapper or dancer alive. I've improved and cultivated my gifts over the years. Yet, when we let what other say affect us even if it's not exactly true... well we are letting them define us. There is a great quote from one of my favorite movies Batman Begins and it says "It's no who you are underneath... it's what you do that defines you". If we have this potential underneath, maybe a weakness that can be strengthened we should work on it. Activate it so we can reach our full potential as human beings. Our actions will then define use. The are our steps on the journey. 
I have learned that negativity will occur. People will put you down. You will find others that don't believe in you and see your gifts and God given abilities, but we must know that the Creator of the universe believes in us. If God believes in us, how can we doubt ourselves or let others tell us who we are and who we aren't? Understanding weakness requires an honest heart, focused and dedicated. It's okay to be weak, just be true to yourself. Work forward and grasp the concept that God believes in you even when you don't believe in yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment